Florida Bar Badge
CPA Public Accountant
Enrolled Agent
BBB Badge 2
ASTPS Badge 2
Tax Selection Bar
Veteran Owned Badge
U.S. Tax Court Badge

Should I Not File My Tax Return If I Cannot Pay The Balance Due?

Harmon Tax Resolution
Individual Income Tax Form

The answer to this question is a resounding NO! Even if you owe back taxes when tax return filing is due, it is imperative to file the tax return anyway. Not filing a tax return will evoke far higher consequences than what occurs from being unable to pay the taxes current taxes owed because one becomes subject to a non-filing penalty of up to 25% of the tax due. This penalty is applied in monthly increments at 5% of the tax due to the penalty accruing up to 25%.

It doesn’t just end there. In fact, under Code Sec. 6020, the IRS has the right to prepare a Substitute For Return (“SFR”) filing in place of the taxpayer not filing a timely return. This means the IRS will file for the taxpayer instead. On the surface, that may not seem too bad since the IRS would save you the time it takes to prepare your return and, in many cases, the costs of hiring a tax professional. This is not ideal because it will likely result in a much higher tax bill and trigger other IRS collection actions.

Ramifications of an SFR

The problem with an SFR is that the IRS will not take a single allowable deduction or credit on your behalf, resulting in your getting the most extensive tax bill possible. For example, the IRS will not apply child tax credits, charitable donation deductions, or deductions for investment losses. In addition, if you have some reported 1099 income, you will not have any expense deductions from your business activities.

In addition, having the IRS file an SFR should be avoided since the SFR is treated as a valid return for determining how much a taxpayer owes, as well as associated penalties IRS charges for things like “failure to file a return,” “failure to pay estimated taxes,” and “failure to pay the tax shown on the return.”

Also, in some cases, the tax debt can be dischargeable in bankruptcy, whereas that is not the case for taxes owed from an SFR filing. And the statute of limitations for failing to file a return is not terminated.

Tax Relief Help for an SFR

It is in your best interest to file tax returns when they are due, regardless of whether you can pay the taxes owed in full. For those that cannot pay the balance owed at once, the IRS offers other ways to help settle a tax debt over time, such as installment agreements.

The IRS will notify you that they plan to file an SFR on your behalf. If this happens, you will want to take immediate action and have your return prepared. Seeking help from a tax professional would be beneficial for managing the process and getting it resolved.

The good news is that you can still file a late tax return even after the IRS has imposed an SFR. It is still possible to file a return that will eventually replace the substitute for the return. It will allow you to claim the missing deductions and credits and change your filing status.

If the IRS decides to proceed with an SFR, they will send you a Notice of Deficiency CP3219N to the mailing address they have on file. You will have 90 days from the date of notice to file a past-due tax return. The IRS will begin their tax assessment if you don’t prepare a new return within this time frame. The assessment starts the collection process with the IRS, which could lead to liens, levies, and garnishments.

Harmon Tax Resolution, LLC – Get the IRS Tax Debt Relief You Deserve!

We have experience handling notices of deficiency and substitute for returns (SFRs). It is essential to ensure your replacement return is thoroughly and correctly done since the IRS reviews it far more carefully than general tax returns. At Harmon Tax Resolution, your return and related IRS tax issues will receive proper attention from a comprehensive 3-1 seasoned tax professional Tax Attorney – Seasoned CPA, and IRS Enrolled Agent ensuring adequate representation.

Contact Harmon Tax Resolution, LLC today at 772-418-0949, or visit www.harmonassociates.net for assistance dealing with an SFR and other IRS tax-related issues.

Our Client Reviews

Read our tax lawyer reviews to see what customers have to say about our Harmon Tax Resolution, LLC.

I put my trust in him and I so happy I did. He was great about keeping me informed and did what he said he was going to do. I will recommend Harmon Tax services to any one that need it. Plus I will always use him if I ever need him again. Great...

Paul F.

Unexpectedly, I received an IRS notice stating I had a balance of over $124,000. The IRS debt was very impactful and made me very worried that I could not sleep at night. I sought help from Will. He was able to research and identify the issue...

Joseph B.

For many years of having a small real estate rental business, I started to have many issues with IRS. In desperation I started searching for a Tax Accountant and Attorney. I remarkably came across Will Harmon, and have been very happy and...

Deborah W.

I had a pressing IRS issue that I could not resolve with the IRS. I employed tax attorney CPA Will Harmon to fix this. He immediately addressed the issue with the IRS and another 3rd party, so I did not have to, allowing me to focus on other...

Brant G.

Attorney Will Harmon provided excellent, trusted representation for me across several issues. There were facets of my situation that required a combination of skillsets, which Will happens to have. In addition to being an attorney, he is also a...

Jason M.

Absolute pleasure to deal with! IRS came down on me for something i didn't even do. Will took on the task and knocked it out faster than i imagined. Absolutely pleased! Definitely recommend using him for your needs!

Greg S.

Mr. Harmon is a gentleman always conducted himself in a professional manner. He is very knowledgeable and organized. I can sincerely say he is always a pleasure. He’s an excellent conversationalist and goes out of his way to give his clients the...

Danny A.

Will Harmon is excellent at what he does and Harmon Associates is the place to go. He is a fantastic person and an expert in taxes and law. Harmon Associates is the best place to go to get excellent results and absolutely excellent service. I...

Lisa R.

Our Offices

Port Saint Lucie Office
3268 SW Hambrick St

Port St. Lucie, FL 34953

Clearwater Office (Satellite Office)
1200 Gulf Blvd #1702

Clearwater, FL 33767

Free Consultation

Fill out the contact form or call us at (772) 418-0949 or (813) 325-6009 to schedule your free consultation.

Leave Us a Message